Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Now that I’m not actually employed, I have more time to sew.  No job is good…more time…and bad…less money.  I picked this pattern up a few years ago and since I wasn’t in the mood to spend any money, I made the decision to Git Er Done.  Granted, I finished it AFTER Halloween this year but it will be brand spankin’ new for next year.

I’m such a dork, I started taking photos of the pieces as I finished them

Piece No. 1

Piece No. 1

Piece No. 2

Piece No. 2

and then I totally forgot to take more.

It will be hiding in the closet until the bewitching begins again in 2014.

Check out the spider in the doorway

Check out the spider in the doorway

Jack-o-lantern and flying geese

Jack-o-lantern and flying geese

Star and flying geese

Star and flying geese

IMG_2933

The pattern is by “Little Bits” and the finished piece measures 15 1/2 x 18 1/2 inches.

Getting back to sewing reminded me how much I enjoy it; hopefully I will have more completed projects in the near future.

Thanks for stopping by…

;o)

Follow Me!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

If you follow me on Google Reader, did you know it will no longer be available after July 1st, 2013.

You can now follow me on Bloglovin…just click the link above.

Thanks for stopping by…

;o)

Since I had some leftover black and white fabrics from my New York Beauty

and I saw a sample lap quilt at the Maine Quilt Show that used black and white fabrics, I decided to make one for myself.

Lap quilt "coin" stripsThe gold strips are not part of the new quilt, that’s just the bedspread underneath.

Unfortunately, the bright lime green/yellow batik I bought for the connecting strips is not long enough, even though I bought the amount indicated on the pattern.  The “coin” strips are 56″ long and my fabric is only 42″.  UGH!  So now I’m looking for another fabric I like that doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg.

What the heck happened to the price of fabric, anyway?

Thanks for stopping by…

;o)

Although the wedding was September 23rd, Wendy and Dan received their quilt for Christmas.  Three months late but finished. Yay!

Squaring the quilt after it was machine quilted

Adding the binding

My high tech binding winder

I used a toilet paper roll with a ribbon running through it, which I put around my neck.  This allowed me to feed the binding in a hands free mode.  Genius!

Securing the binding to the back using hair clips.

Hand stitching the binding to the back

A close-up of the machine quilting

The label

The words on the label are the words to their wedding song.

The body of the quilt on the bed

Unfortunately, I couldn’t get a photo that included the borders.  Maybe next summer they can hang it from their deck and I can get a good photo.

Here's the original pattern

It sort of looks like the original.  I’m glad it’s all done, I hate having a project hanging over my head; especially one with such an important “due date”.  Now, on to the next project, a nice, small lap quilt for myself.

Thanks for stopping by…

;o)

I have not done a very good job of blogging lately.  My beautiful daughter got married the end of September and I didn’t blog one.single.word about it although there were plenty of words in my head that day.

I have been working on their wedding quilt for the past several months although I didn’t get it finished in time to present it as a wedding gift ;o(  That makes me sad.  I DID get the last border on it today.

I’ve cleaned up all the loose threads, the backing is purchased, washed/dried/ironed and I’m taking it to the longarm quilter on Thursday.  I’ll be getting the binding ready while it’s away.

Thanks for stopping by…

;o)

It’s all about “the quilt” right now, in my spare time, at least.  On my days off last weekend…it rained!  Big surprise for those that know me.  I have rotten luck when it comes to good weather on my days off.  That’s another story for another day.  Today’s story is about quilting.  Well, to be more precise, it’s about cutting big pieces of fabric into small pieces of fabric so that it can be sewed into big pieces again.  That’s what quilters know.  Here are some photos to give you an idea what I’m talkin’ about.

First I start with six rectangles .  These colors are not true but you will notice the fabric alternates light and dark.

Next, I stack them one on top of the other and draw the pattern that I will be cutting.  You have to look closely to see where I have drawn chalk lines.

Once I have drawn the lines, I pin a number to each piece.  This allows me to sew them back together in the right order.  I didn’t number the two pieces in the middle because they will be shuffled once the fabrics are cut.

Next, I cut along the lines.  Remember, there are six pieces of fabric stacked together.

Now that the pieces are cut, I shuffle the top fabric of the two middle pieces to the bottom of the stack.  Can you see what has appeared?


Ta Da!  A heart magically appears.  Then I sew each rectangle back together and every seam is a C.U.R.V.E!  I use lots of pins and I don’t sew quickly soooooo, it takes me about 45 minutes for each one and there are 36 of them.  Each set of six produces a different heart because I drew the template differently each time.

Good thing etiquette allows a year after the wedding to present a gift.

The photos are a little blurry because I cropped them to bring them closer.  I’m a quilter, not a photographer.

Thanks for stopping by…
;o)

September 23 is coming REALLY fast.  I haven’t been sewing as often as I would like, which is nothing new.  However, today I completed the first (of many) blocks…

First block completed 5.3.11

It looks a little skewed because I was standing on my tiptoes to take the picture while the block was sitting on the ironing board.  Like I said,”it’s a start”.

Thanks for stopping by…

;o)

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.